Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Ive got a stihl 131 pole saw the chain portion stopped

Ive got a stihl...

Ive got a stihl 131 pole saw the chain portion stopped turning.when done manually by hand everything turns fine from the chain to the clutch .but when started and given gas thde clutch doesnt engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last clean or perform maintenance on your Stihl tool or machine? How old is it?

Its only about 8 months old i do maintenance and cleasning every tank of fuel

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Stihl? What have you tried so far?

Just started .nothing yet

Answered in 1 day by:
5/29/2021
Technician: Greg4734, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Greg4734
Greg4734, Small Engine Technician

Greetings: My name is***** have over 25 years experience in the Small Engine and Power Equipment service industry.  I currently own and operate a dealership for many brands including warranty service for Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, Honda and many others.

I would be happy to assist you to solve your small engine related issues, if you receive a phone call request just know this is an automated system from Just Answers trying to get you quicker service. You can ignore this message and continue in chat/email for support.

Before this message you were dealing with an auto attendant, this is a program to get as much info as possible so I can review and hopefully speed up your support. I may need to clarify some things and ask more questions so please bear with me.
I work on may of these units in our shop, they are pretty simple, if you have check that your chain is turning the sprocket and through the gear box turning the main shaft all the way back to your clutch drum I suspect that your clutch is not working, you could have a broken arm or shoe in the couch, they are pretty simple, you will have to loose off the throttle grip and the screws that hold the shaft to the clutch housing then remove the shaft, from there you can remove the front cover of the clutch end of the power head and have a look at the clutch.
I seen many units that are left out in the rain and the clutch gets rusty and seized up, you can take it all apart and clean it, check for damaged springs and shoes when you are in there, but you may opt to just replace the whole clutch as a complete unit.
if you need further assistance please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
Greg

Greg4734
Greg4734, Small Engine Technician