Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

35hp briggs vanguard. Fuel filter stays at 1/4 or less full.

35hp briggs vanguard. Fuel...

35hp briggs vanguard. Fuel filter stays at 1/4 or less full. Engine starts fine and runs great even when stopped on a hill then loaded on throttle. But when i run the blades it is fine until over half 3/4 throttle then immediately boggs and wants to die with a darker smoke until i throttle down. Drained tank and cleaned outlet, all new lines, new filter, checked valve gaps and all are set, took off fuel pump line, and it fills up a gatorade bottle fairly quick, cleaned the carb 3 times then bought a brand new briggs carb, checked grounds to the clutch. Vacuum line has suction, tried running with fuel tank cap off. I cant figure this one out yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

Screen on tank outlet removed and I have a external in line

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your car?

2011 scag turf tiger. Briggs vanguard 35hp

Answered in 3 days by:
5/29/2021
Technician: Greg4734, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Greg4734
Greg4734, Small Engine Technician

Greetings: My name is***** have over 25 years experience in the Small Engine and Power Equipment service industry.  I currently own and operate a dealership for many brands including warranty service for Briggs & Stratton, Kohler, Honda and many others.

I would be happy to assist you to solve your small engine related issues, if you receive a phone call request just know this is an automated system from Just Answers trying to get you quicker service. You can ignore this message and continue in chat/email for support.

Before this message you were dealing with an auto attendant, this is a program to get as much info as possible so I can review and hopefully speed up your support. I may need to clarify some things and ask more questions so please bear with me.
I would not be concerned about the fuel filter not filling up. they usually don't, even if you bleed the system there will be air in it right away, my concern is that if you engine is choking itself out with black smoke we may be dealing with a choke linkage or control problem when you advance the throttle its starting to close the choke plate.
if you have had the carb off a few times and even replaced it I'd rule out the carb problem.
What other tests have you done ? do you have the ability to do a compression test on both cylinders ? do we know that both cylinders are firing equally ?
If you can get back to me with some more info I'd like to help trouble shoot this with you

Can you provide the model, type and code of your engine ?
Regarards,
Greg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1/2 It ended up being the wire to the left coil had a bear spot and was arcing only when vibration from the deck was hitting a certain rpm. Crazy. I still co2/2 uldn't understand why my vacuum pressure gauge was bouncing all over. Mower runs good now. But still an empty fuel filter.

Man, that is a tough one. I am glad you have it figured out. I'll keep an eye out for that.
As for the fuel filter, they usually never fill up in my experience so as long as it's being changed and kept clean and fuel flows through it then you should be ok.
Glad to your problem is solved, sorry someone wasn't there sooner to assist you, I know my shop has been crazy busy this spring, I have not been on this site in over 3 weeks due to my personal back log.
Regards,
Greg

Greg4734
Greg4734, Small Engine Technician