Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Auger belt keeps coming off my 9 yeear old MTD 24 inch Pro…

Auger belt keeps coming...

Auger belt keeps coming off my 9 yeear old MTD 24 inch Pro Snowblower. Belt(s) are new and I have replaced the extension spring. Sometimes I hear a squeal when auger is engaged, cound it be the main bearing for the auger.?

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last clean or perform maintenance on your MTD auger?

Didn't know you could service the auger, Manual and other sources do not indicate it can be "serviced" and there are not grease fittings.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your MTD auger? What have you tried so far?

Yearly I lubricate the gear drive, the speed wheel shaft and wheel bearings, clean the spark plug and change the oil.and run all the gas out of it for summer storage.Tche belt came off so I replaced it with an OEM new one ( bought two) and replaced the extension spring for it which had broken. I checked the auger belt tension bearing and it seems fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No I am stumped?

1/28/2021
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

This is normally caused by a bearing being bad or the alignment of the tension pulley is off and needs to be shimmed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tension pulley alignment is fine and its bearing is good, I suspect the auger bearing. Jim

Auger bearing is where I would start as well if all the other is good

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Jon!

Not a problem at all, please let me know if there is anything further I can do

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician