Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My LX277 runs fine but when I engage the electric PTO for…

Hi my LX277 runs...

Hi my LX277 runs fine but when I engage the electric PTO for the mower deck the battery light comes on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Who makes your lawn mower? How old is it?

John Deere - maybe 10 years but good condition

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your John Deere lawn mower? What have you tried so far?

Just started happening, looking here first

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's the only problem

9/28/2020
Technician: EricN910, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
EricN910
EricN910, Small Engine Technician
Hello.My name is ***** ***** it's my pleasure to assist you today.I have been a technician with John Deere dealerships for 18byears and I'm very familiar with your lx277. Hopefully I can offer you some answers
Hi Eric, my description says it all I think
It doe.So the light only comes on when you engage the deck and put the engine under a load?
my phone reception not so good here at the momentcorrect only when I engage the switch
I see.Most likely,your voltage regulator is starting to go bad.We can confirm the charge rate if you have a volt meter?
yep can do. Perhaps list what I should test and find and Ill go out and have a check..
Ok.you will need to lock the park brake and start the engine.
Then you will set your meter leads to DC voltage and touch them to the battery posts.
Next you will need to sit in the seat and engage the blades,or have someone else sit in the seat due to the safety switch.
With deck running,see what the rate of charge is
OK can do - what indicative numbers am I looking for?
With the engine running and deck engaged,the charge rate should be in the 13.8-14.2 range
great, might take me a while. Shallowing I come back to this link?shall I...
I will be here waiting for the results
EricN910
EricN910, Small Engine Technician
K ta
Sorry that took longer than expected... The initial reports were from my boy who had been doing the lawns.
When I started the mower just now, it ran rough for a short while, then fired onto both cylinders OK. that's the first clue I thought..
Measured the volts at a little over 14 with no load and with PTO running. No battery light. Good.
Took it out for a run on some longer grass, went OK for a bit then under load the engine lost some power, struggled to cut and the battery light came on, clearly now running mainly on one cylinder.
One problem solved, not the regulator but another confirmed, engine losing power / dropping a cylinder.
Spark plug?
or is there a coil pack on these of some description.
It is a JD K series, air cooled 17hp v twin,
Suggestions other than plugs welcome.
Cheers Ian
Definitely a could breaking down after it gets hot.Coil breaking down.I would recommend that you replace both coils while you are gonna have the shroud off.Theybage at the same rate and the other won't be far behind