Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Generac generator high temp light is on and unit does not…

Customer Question
Generac generator high temp...

Generac generator high temp light is on and unit does not start All openings are clear

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Generac generator? How old is it?

One moment

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Generac generator? What have you tried so far?

Power went off at 5:30am today. First time didn’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Model #15000. Have had for approximately 10 years. Other than exercise, only been in use 4 times

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/10/2020
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would like to assist you with this.
I’m sorry that no one has responded to you yet. I’m not sure what is going on.
I work 2 day jobs and help on Just Answer in the evenings. When I got home and got logged on, the question list was extremely long. I have been busting my backside trying to catch up.
I'm very sorry you are having problems with your genset.
Let’s see what we can do to resolve it.

What are the model number and serial number of the genset?

M#15000
Can't tell you serial number now, it's 9:00pm and raining

15000 is not the model number. It is the wattage rating.

I need to know the actual model number and serial number to know which type of control system this unit has.

This is most likely just a bad temperature switch, but I need to know what type of control is present, as some units have more than just a switch in the circuit.

Which one of those 3 models is yours?

What is the serial number?

I need this information to pull up the proper schematic.

04390-3
It's dark and raining, so I can't get to see the serial number now

The 4390-3 went through an engineering change in mid-production.

I will need to know if yours is before or after serial number(###) ###-####- it will make a difference.

If you need to wait until tomorrow to get the serial number, that is fine.

It will have to wait until tomorrow. I and my wife have doctors appointments tomorrow, so it will be at least mid afternoon before I can get back to you.We are in central Florida, Eastern time

I'm in Kentucky, Eastern time

As I said in my original post, I work 2 day jobs and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

I am at my long job tomorrow. I leave for work at 6AM and don't get home until 8PM. But you don't have to wait for me to be online. You can post anytime, and I will get the message when I log on.

Can I send information to you by text?

This is not texting. This is an online forum. Everything we post between us is online.

If you are using the app, it may seem like texting, but it is not.

Not real tech savy, I will do my best tomorrow. My name is ***** *****

Well, James, we'll see what we can do as soon as I know which unit we're dealing with.

I've been a Generac technician for almost 20 years, so I should be able to help you out.

Thanks ��

Not a problem.

Hi Hank.
From last night about Getmrac gen set. Model(###) ###-####- 15000
Serial number(###) ###-####
***** *****If this is going to get very complicated and the fact that I don’t have any parts at hand, I wonder if I would be better off to have a technician come out and take care of it.

OK, you have the newer version of this genset.

First, let's see if we can get that light to reset.

With the switch set to OFF, remove the fuse from the controller.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Unplug the large 17-pin connector from the controller.

Wait 1 minute, then plug the large connector back in to the controller, reconnect the negative battery cable, and reinstall the fuse.

All of the lights on the controller should start flashing. This means that you need to reset the exercise timer.

Reset the exercise timer. Remember, the day and time you do the set procedure is the day and time the unit will exercise. If you do the procedure at 10AM on a Tuesday, the generator will exercise at 10AM every Tuesday. Go ahead and set the timer - we can change it at any time.

The procedure to reset the timer is to set the switch to AUTO, then press and hold the SET/EXERCISE button and hold it until the genset starts. The genset will run for 12 minutes, then shut down. You must allow it to run the 12 minutes and shut itself down for the cycle to be complete. If you shut it off, the timer will not be set, and you will have to do it again.

At that point, the light should only show the green READY light.

Where's the 17 pin connector located?

It is connected to the control board.

In plain sight or under a panel

Under a panel. Behind the start switch.

I will have to attempt this tomorrow evening, I have to work tomorrow. I will contact you tomorrow evening with an update.
Thanks ��

OK.

Will have to wait until Friday evening or Saturday morning. Thanks, Jim

Ok.