Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Onan 5.5HDKBA - 35895 diesel generator in an Avalanche

Customer Question
motorhome with Onan Q2000 inverter/charger...
Onan 5.5HDKBA - 35895 diesel generator in an Avalanche motorhome with Onan Q2000 inverter/charger. Everything perfect on shore power but when we go to genset, the transfer switch works, the junction box coming out of the transfer switch shows 119 volts on both hot legs (both to ground and neutral). There are two 120 volt fuse boxes...one appears to be just for the inverted circuits (fridge, microwave and some outlets). The main fuse box shows 119 volts but the inverted box is dead. We are getting an inverter control panel error 15 which resolves to "frequency under 54 hertz". I'll get a multi-meter today that tests frequency and verify but I am also confused about the two legs of the 50 amp generator versus the two fuse boxes and a couple other things...Are the two legs likely being divided so one goes to the main fuse block and the other leg goes to the inverted fuse box?That would indicate the two legs are both going to the inverter/charger?Can you clarify the likely relationship between the two power legs, the inverter/changer and the two fuse boxes?Can the generator produce poor frequency on just one leg?Is the diesel generator constant RPM or should it respond to load regards ***** ***** can low RPM cause low frequency output?Thanks,Bill
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
10/18/2019
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

It is not possible to have low frequency on one leg only. Frequency is only affected by engine speed, and would affect both legs equally.

Without seeing how this is wired, it is most likely that one leg feeds the inverter, while the other leg feeds everything else. When no using the inverter, the current is simply passed through the inverter.

The engine will hold a constant speed, but under load it is working harder. The electronic governor makes sure to keep the engine speed constant to keep the frequency constant.

If the genset were only running at 554 Hz, it would be shutting itself down on an Under Speed fault. Since it is not, it is most likely that there is a problem in the inverter itself.

But the inverter works perfectly when on shore power.

If you have good voltage on both legs coming out of the transfer switch when on gen power, there is no reason the fuse box does not have power, unless it is stopping at the inverter.

Have you tested the TS output on both shore power and generator?