Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

How does your service work? I have a video of a Generac

How does your service...

How does your service work? I have a video of a Generac generator that will crank, but not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Generac generator? How old is it?

Isntalled in MArch of 2005. Model 04390

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Generac generator? What have you tried so far?

About a week ago it did not complete the weekly self test. removed the spark plugs, cleaned off with a brush and reinserted. I checked the air filter to make sure it was clean. Cheked the oil level to make sure it was correct. It actually started on me once and ran by hitting the manual button, but the next time I tried it did this. https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLFmzwjd48EyufsB6

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

If you watch the videos you will see the 4 red indicator lights. The batter is also putting out about 13.8 V.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLFmzwjd48EyufsB6
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2019
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Gas engine, not propane or natual gas? Have you removed the spark plugs and see if the engine will spin?

It is natural gas. The engine spins because it was hard to start, but then it did fire up and run once. However, I attempted to start again and it wouldn't go. Just cranked for a second like in the video I sent.I noticed that all 4 red lights were flashing. Held down manual and eventually it fired up after several attempts. Afterwards, no luck.

What does the battery voltage drop to when starter engages ?

What should it be? I pulled the battery, drained it, and recharged it. I don't have a load tester though. I can check tomorrow as it is dark now in Ohio.I agree I had not 100% ruled out the battery.

You don't need a load tester, just use your voltmeter when you try t engage the starter. It should not drop below 8 volts.

Is that common that the battery holds a charge, but does not provide enough current?

Yes, and can do the same with bad cables, or connection at the ground cable.

Ok. I will confirm that first thing in the morning.Do you have an opinion on what else it could be if the voltage is not the issue?

No, need to rule out the battery and cables.

By cables, do you mean the cables connecting to the battery? Should I do some type of continuity check with these using the voltmeter? Are there other cables or wires that should be checked?

The battery cables, both ends. The ground is as important as the positive to the starter or relay.

Ok thanks. I'll check this out tomorrow, and follow up with the results.

OK>

Following up from our conversation. I replaced the battery and the generator is working fine now. I didn't realize that there is always a charge to the battery as I read 14V off the cables without the battery attached. Meaning that the battery could briefly show a good charge when removed but still be an underperforming battery. I thought that the self-test was the only time the battery was recharged. Thanks for your help.

Good job, thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician