Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Honda HRX 217 mower is about 14 years old. Midway through…

My Honda HRX 217...

My Honda HRX 217 mower is about 14 years old. Midway through this mowin system, the gas consumption increased drastically. I used to be able to mow the whole yard on one tank of gas and have some left. Now,when I start with a full tank of gas.the mower runs out after I have cut 2/3 of the yard. I also noticed that the cold engine starts on the first pull, as it always has. However, some of the times when I stop to empty the bag, the mower does not want to restart. It is not because it has run out of gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Honda lawn mower?

I don’t have it front of me. I just know it is an HRX 217, and about 14 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Honda lawn mower? What have you tried so far?

It began three weeks ago. I mow weekly, and I have tried nothing so far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I replaced the starter assembly at the beginning of June. the pull cord broke, and when I tried to repair it, the metal clip that keeps the cord from cutting the red cap fell out and was lost. I just decided to replace the whole thing since it was not very expensive

8/30/2019
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Does the engine show any black smoke while running? Fuel consumption make be increased if the air is restricted, is air filter element clean? Is the choke fully open in the carburetor? Either will increase fuel consumption.

I see a quick puff of black smoke when I first start, but not after that. The air filter is clean as well. I don’t think I am running with the choke completely open. To my knowledge, when the choke is open, the mower makes a particular sound, a much quieter sound than when I put it into its running speed, and it does not sound that way when I am running it.

Choke Is what needs to be checked, fully open, or fuel consumption will suffer.

How do I check that?I think I wrote incorrectly about the choke. I think the choke is closed when I first start it up, and it makes the quiet sound. When I put it into running speed, it is open. But you might be on to something in that it might not be fully open. Nonetheless, I need to know how to check that.

You will need to remove the air filter and th front cover over the carburetor, so you can see th choke flap in the front of the carburetor throat.

Alright, I will get on it this weekend.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I had a part to replace that arrived today. So I replaced that part and took apart the carburetor assembly (not the carburetor itself). The flaps seemed to be fine: they could fully open. I removed a lot of dirt from around the carburetor and the control arms that open and shut it. I also realized that the throttle control needed adjusting, so I adjusted it so that it met with the specifications in the owner's manual. After I re-attached the carburetor and the parts around it, I filled up the tank and mowed the yard. This time, I did not run out of fuel; I had a little bit left as I had before the problem arose So, I am not sure what specifically was the problem; nonetheless, it appears to be resolved.