Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a troy bilt bronco lawn tractor. Yesterday when I was…

Customer Question
I have a troy...

I have a troy bilt bronco lawn tractor. Yesterday when I was using it the mowing deck seemed to start to vibrate and then it made the sound like a belt was slipping, started smoking and then just stopped. When I restarted it the engine is running fine but when I try to engage the deck nothing happens. I assumed it was a belt so I removed the deck and the battery to inspect them. But all the belts appear to be in tact. I also checked the cable attached to the PTO and it isn't loose or anything. I don't know what else could be wrong or how to fix it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you know the model of your Troy-Bilt tractor? How old is it?

2016 bronco serial number(###) ###-#### where do I find the model number?

Mechanic's Assistant: The Small Engine Technician can help you find the model number for your tractor; I'll connect you shortly. How long has this been going on with your Troy-Bilt tractor? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Bronco 19-HP Automatic 42-in Riding Lawn Mower
Item #: 806306 Model #: 13WX78BS011 found it

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/28/2019
Technician: Cad, Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Cad
Cad, Mechanic
Hello. I'm Cad, A independent contractor that is compensated only a portion of your deposit (if one was given) if accepted and a 3-5 rating for helping you when we finish. If can can give me a model number if not already given, we can begin. I cant proceed without a response.
Also please ignore any phone call prompts. They are not from me and be patient for I'm helping others so well. Thank you.You have already given the model. Does the blades have any play. Not from the belt but from the bearings
Item #: 806306 Model #: 13WX78BS011The blades seem to be normal
hello?
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Are all the blade spindles turning freely and all the idler pulleys on the deck free, not frozen? Was the belt damaged or seemed ok?

I think so. I can double check if they all move. I didn't see anything wrong with the belts but its hard to get a good look at the lower one. Would it be a good or bad idea to spray some wd-40 in there?which ones are the idler pulleys?

On the deck will be the two spindles with pulleys, the idler pulleys are the ones in between, one is fixed, the other is the movable one that the cable moves when you engage the deck.

all pulleys spin. And the cable is whole. What else can it be? I have it jacked up and I can't see a thing wrong with it.

Belt wasn't off one of the pulleys?

no. the only one off is the cutting deck belt and I took it off when I dropped the deck
Correct.

So if nothing found, you are going to have to put the deck back on, then see why it is not turning. The pulley on the engine will be a two pulley assembly, and the top pulley is the transmission drive, I assume the drive is working?

well the motor runs and it will move, so yes I think the drive is working. ugh... putting the deck back on is a pain. Is there anything I can look at while I have it off so I don't have to take it off again?

Pull-on the belt and see if it turns everything. It all is well. try it.

Ok. I put the belt back on and put the battery back in. The only thing that happens when I put the lever on to engage the blades is if I have the parking break on it kills the engine. If I sit on it nothing happens at all.I have to step away for a minute but I will be back. Please help. I need to fix this.

With engine off, work the lever and watch the cable end on the deck, is it tightening the belt?

it tightens it

If the belt tightens, the deck and blades should work.??

Maybe you have a safety switch that is killing the engine, Seat or brake switch or the PTO switch that the lever moves.

it tightens the cable. I have it disconnected because I dropped the deck. I have some company coming over in about 20 minutes, but let me see if I can get it back on and test it. The engine runs fine. It isn't dying.

There is a switch on the pto lever, that may be a problem.

I figured it out. The deck belt had jumped one of the pulleys. Thank you for your help.

Good job!