Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an ‘07 cub cadet LT1046 that the battery has to be…

Customer Question
I have an ‘07...

I have an ‘07 cub cadet LT1046 that the battery has to be charged every week or two. Took neg cable off and checked DC volts from cable to battery term and got 6.5 volts. I took the pos cable off terminal when engine was running and engine shut down immediatley.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

I assume fthe engine is original from ‘07.I had the ingition coil replaced last summer and it started after that.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hopefully.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I recently founf a small metal piece that is roughly L shaped that may have come off where the regulator is mounted but I don’t remember exactly.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
6/1/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

# 10 is the regulator and # 11 is the stator/alternator under the flywheel, The stator puts out AC volts and the regulator/rectifier changes the AC volts to DC. to charge the battery. Locate the regulator, and on the middle terminal, you should have battery voltage with key on, then with engine running, it should increase to around 14 volts Dc.

I get 12.4 to ground.

Where are you measuring? The center post of the regulator? What does it read when engine is running half throttle?

I see the question is still open.??