Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 5.5hgjab-901e runs great first 30 seconds than it…

Customer Question
I have a 5.5hgjab-901e...

I have a 5.5hgjab-901e runs great first 30 seconds than it starts to run ruff it will run one ac unit continues if I try the second it will bog down after a short time same thing with the microwave. New carburetor no change adgusted the valves no improvement

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It doesn’t seem to matter what the fuel level is it shares the tank with the motor home

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Small Engine
6/1/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 17 days ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Is the genset showing a fault code?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
No I did a compression test 145 on left and 135 on the right last month I pulled the plugs left one was black right one looked good I replaced with new and ran and rechecked they both look fine

Wow, that's strange.

Compression is just a tad low, but should not be enough to be concerned about.

Have you checked the fuel flow from the fuel pump to make sure it is flowing plenty of fuel?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I checked the filter no restrictions not sure what the fuel flow should be

There is no spec for volume, but if you remove the fuel line from the carburetor, and press and hold the STOP/PRIME button, it should flow about a half of a 20 oz pop bottle in less than a minute, usually about 30 seconds.

It will not be a steady stream like a garden hose, but will be a steady pulsing flow.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I will check it tomorrow afternoon

Ok.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
10 Ounces in 13 seconds
Customer reply replied 15 days ago
10 ounces in 13 seconds
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 14 days ago

I am really sorry for the delay.

We went to the lake this weekend. I always take my computer with me to take care of questions. Cell service is always spotty, but we are usually able to get a signal at night. For some reason, we couldn't get a signal at all this weekend.

That is plenty of fuel.

Have you removed the air cleaner to see if the choke is fully opening after the engine starts?

Have you tested for an air leak in the intake?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
The choke is open and no intake leak
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 13 days ago

I really don't know where to go from here, without being able to see the unit.

From what you are describing, it sounds like it is not getting enough gas.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Could it be the coil or wires

Not if both cylinders are firing.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Do you recommend I take it to a rv repair shop

That or a small engine shop that is willing to work on Onan.

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Ok thanks

No problem.

Sorry we couldn't get to the bottom of it, but some things just require a hands-on approach.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician