Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

If I sat with the brake on it would run until it ran out of…

Customer Question
If I sat with...

If I sat with the brake on it would run until it ran out of gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Neighbors tractor. going on about a week now. Repair a broken wire to the brake switch on the right side of the tractor. Replaced the starter solenoid at the back of the tractor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Have also removed the seat safety switch and found it to have about 15 ohms resistance in the closed position.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Make and model of tractor? What is wrong? The tractor will not shut off?

The make is Troy Bilt. The model I'm not sure about. It's just a lawn tractor.
The tractor will start normally but as soon as I let the park brake off it dies. Could a faulty seat safety switch be the problem. I tested it for continuity and got about 15 ohms.

Two wire seat switch? Unplug it and use a jumper on the two wires in harness to bypass and test. Next would be the brake interlock switch. Could be sticking or wires loose.