Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a LT1500, 420 cc lawn tractor' model 247.288820. Last…

Customer Question
I have a LT1500...

I have a LT1500, 420 cc lawn tractor' model###-##-#### Last summer, it would stall out with a 1/2 tank of gas. I changed the fuel filter, changed oil and air filter. Nothing worked, but when I refilled the tank to full, it worked again. This year, that's not working. I put on a new gas line, insulated it thinking it was vapor lock. I replaced the fuel rollover valve, I actually took the gas cap off to see if that helped. I checked for spark on the solenoid. The mower will run for approx. 40 seconds and stall. It will start immediately again, however I let it set for 40 seconds and it runs again for 40 seconds. I see this tractor on a lot of uTube videos for this same problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I have brand new summer blend 87 octane in the tank and it is full.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I hope to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have talked with several of our mechanics at work and have tried their suggestions, like seeing if the fuel runs better when I raise the gas line and to try Seafoam to clean the carburetor

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/31/2018
Technician: MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician replied 2 months ago
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to help you! What engine do you have?

420 cc MTD is what it says. Craftsman LT1500

Well, the engine was made by Kohler or Briggs probably. Somewhere on the engine it will have it's own model and serial number. Can you find those?

OK, I see what you mean now. I'm not sure who made this engine, but, never the less, what is the part you call a "fuel rollover valve"?