Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Craftsman riding mower won't move gears really loose.

Customer Question
Craftsman riding mower won't...

Craftsman riding mower won't move gears really loose

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model###-##-####dlt 3000

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Mower really old

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/31/2018
Technician: MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician replied 2 months ago
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to help you! Can you be more specific about what is loose?

drive belt looks loose gear shift too easily mower won't move when in gear
just need to get an idea where to start

ok, let's start with the belt. The belt is loosened by the brake/clutch pedal. Was the belt loose with the pedal released? If yes, can you pull backwards on the pedal and tighten the belt any?

belt is loose with brake engaged

What about with the brake released? And if it is still loose with the brake released, can you pull the pedal rearward any further than it goes on it's own and does that make any difference to the belt?