Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a gas onan Cummins 4kw that starts well and runs 2 -3…

Customer Question
I have a gas...

I have a gas onan Cummins 4kw that starts well and runs 2 -3 mins and shuts down with fault code 13. It will generate electricity. Frequency and voltage is erratic. Suggestions.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

The tank is filled with fresh gas and there seems to be fuel getting to the generator

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was hoping too

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Could there be a problem with a fuel filter and do you suggest draining the bowl of the carburetor

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
RV QG 4000 model number 2015 year
5/31/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 24 days ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
QG4000 is a family class.
I need to know the actual model number, as well as the serial number.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
4KYFA26100P MODEL
SN. .A150781403
Ok.
According to your serial number, you may still be in warranty. If you are, your best course of action would be to get it to an authorized Onan service center for warranty repair. Doing what needs to be done would void your warranty.
If you bought your unit in June of 2015 or later, you are still under warranty.
If you bought it earlier than that, you are out of warranty.
Code 13 is Under Voltage. It means that the genset is not putting out a full 120 volts.
What you would need to do first, if you are out of warranty, would be to connect a meter to the output leads of the genset, and press and hold the start button to keep the unit running for a few seconds.
What voltage reading do you get?
Now set the meter to read frequency, and press and hold the start button again.
What frequency reading do you get?