Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I ave a Scotts lawn tractor with a hydrostatic drive on it.

Customer Question
I ave a Scotts...

I ave a Scotts lawn tractor with a hydrostatic drive on it. I had to replace the solenoid on it for the starter and when I did the engine runs but now when I depress the pedal the tractor doesnt move forward or backward

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

Not sure how old it is and no

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am not sure if this is relevant but I had to push the tractor out of the garage for better light to replace the solenoid

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 20 days ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

make sure the bypass rod is pushed inwards all the way.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Can you tell me how to locate the by pass rod?

should be at the rear of the machine if it has one. do you have to disengage the transmission to push the machine ?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I did not disengage anything I just pushed it forward

what model machine is this ?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It is an S2046

let me check the manual, one moment please

CHECK WHEN YOUR MACHINE WILL NOT MOVE IS THE DRIVE BELT. YOU SHOULD HAVE A BELT THAT IS AROUND ALL PULLEYS AND NOT BROKEN OR CRACKED. CHECK THE BELT AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT LOOKS PLEASE..
reading through the manual for transmission disengagement rod

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I did check the belt and it appears to be in good shape

on the back of the machine you have what is called a freewheel knob

this should be pushed inwards

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Let me look I will be right back
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
There is no knob but there is a rod that slides in and out. It is pushed in
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Jon are you still there?

okay, so rod is in, and no movement still

will need to reach under the machine and follow that rod as it should lead to a lever on the transmission to engage the machine. make sure that lever is all the way forwards

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Well I never moved the rod before now and it was in the pushed in position
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I am going to go look I will be right back
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Lever is all the way forward. I have to go now can I log back in later?

move the rod in and out a few times and see if it allows you to push the machine with the rod out