Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a craftsman mower that won’t disengage, I just had it…

Customer Question
I have a craftsman mower...
I have a craftsman mower that won’t disengage, I just had it serviced because I had problems starting it, worked fine for a day, next day it wouldn’t crank. Bought new battery, still won’t crank. Jumped it off, drove around a bit, tried to get off and let it run and that’s when I realized it wouldn’t go into neutral.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/31/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Make and model?

Model#917.259830 15.5hpohv
42”hydro
Turbo cool, this is all I have,

Engine is a Briggs single cylinder engine, 28N707-1173-E1

Transmission is hydrostat transmission and is foot controlled. If you have no neutral, the engine will not start. Check the linkage from the foot switch back to the transmission to see if the lever on the transmission is being moved by the pedal. Seed rive diagram below.