Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have Kubota TG 1860 ride on mower. It has been sat around…

Customer Question
I have Kubota TG...

I have Kubota TG 1860 ride on mower. It has been sat around for several months. I have fully charged the (newish) battery but I am getting anything. No lights, no ignition lights or anything. It is completely dead!

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a Kubota TG 1860. It is about 15 years old but only has 571 hours on the clock. We stopped using it because of a knocking and need to start it to take to a workshop

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, we are sending to tractor repair engineer but need to drive it onto the trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think so just to get it started

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/31/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Have you checked the fuses? The ignition has t have battery voltage to it, and the voltage comes thru the fuses to the key switch. Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage? Is it above 12.5 volts? Battery cables clean and tight? Can you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump the cable terminal to the single wire switch terminal? This should spin the engine.

I have checked the fuses. There is no power to ignition. I don't have a voltmeter to hand but the battery seemed to charge ok. The cables are clean tight. I will have a look at following the positive to starter and see how I get on. Thanks

If no power to the keyswitch, no power is coming thru the fuses. Swap fuses or remove each one and check and reinstall. Can you swap the fuses? Same amperage?

I think I can. I will go and do it and get back to you

OK>

I can swap the fuses as they are different ampage. But they all look ok and nothing burnt out
I mean I cannot swap them

You removed them and reinstalled?

I did

Could the battery be completely dead? Do you have jumper cables r a charger to attach to the battery?

I did try to jump start it as well as taking the battery off and charging overnight

Can you jump it at the starter solenoid and get it to turn?

I can’t get anything out of it all. It is completely dead

Battery or the battery cables!