Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a troy-bilt push mower, Factory Model Number:

Customer Question
I have a troy-bilt...

I have a troy-bilt push mower, Factory Model Number: 12AGA2A6711
Serial Number: 1c157K30476. I am a female and bought the mower because it has a push key because I cannot pull the string. Every time I push the key I get a whinny sound and it doesn't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes as I just bought the mower in april.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, that's why I purchased the model with the push key

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just how to operate the push key as it doesn't seem to work or I'm doing something wrong

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/30/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 2 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

sounds like the starter is not engaging the flywheel on the mower and a new starter would be needed. if it is under 2 years old, this is something warranty would cover at no cost to you

Terrible advice. Just purchased the mower so answers you gave does not make any sense and I wasted my money. Do not answer back as I'm disgusted in wasting my money

there is no charge unless satisfied with response.

if all you are hearing is a whinning noise, this is the starter spinning, but the starter must move upwards to the flywheel to engage the engine to start the machine. if it is not doing so, it is a starter issue. being as the machine is new, why would you not return to a dealer for them to repair it at no charge to you ?

I understand the fact machine is new, and you should not have this issue, but it happens and I was trying to give you the knowledge of why this happens and how the machine works when you push the start button feature.

hope you get this repaired or replaced. have a great day today.