Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Hydro gear on a 2012 gravely ZT HD zero turn will not

Customer Question
Second opinion] hydro gear...

Second opinion] hydro gear on a 2012 gravely ZT HD zero turn will not engage

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The unit is not useable it happen in 5 mins

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe, I think it is the bypass valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When tires are raised off the ground I can turn the wheel when it is supposed to be engaged. can't turn the good wheel

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Technician: MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician replied 2 months ago
MowerDocMD
MowerDocMD, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to help you! Have you tried moving the bypass rod? Sometimes they get "stuck" between open and closed, and they remain open. You should try moving it to it's full pull position and then to it's full push position. Then check to see if you feel any resistance on the tire. I'm not sure whether in or out is correct for "drive" but it should be labeled on the frame. Make sure when you check the resistance that it is in the drive position. Let me know. Thanks

I moved it several times back and forward, no luck, the lever has no resistance at all
Ok, can you reach your hand on top of the trans and make sure the lever is connected to the valve arm?