Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Subaru robin engine. fires but does not stay running.

Customer Question
Subaru robin engine....

Subaru robin engine. fires but does not stay running. Removed gas tank, check filter, blew fuel line... nothing. Replaced the carburetor and it does the same thing. Fires and then dies . Ran with gas cover off.. same issue. Disconnected the governor and tried to run and again... shuts right off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

What is the best way to determine if it is a fuel issue ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I used it twice.... and it worked fine. following year I couldn't get it started. Ridgid pressure washer. I pulled the pump on the washer and tried thinking maybe the pump was sntallingthe ending... nope It is 8 years old.... run like 5 hours max.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The interesting thing is with the new carburetor, it is doing the same exact thing as old one.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have ordered a spark tester and will get that tomorrow. The engine fires.... I disconnected the oil pressure switch too... to make sure that was not the issue. And there is plenty of oil in the engine.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Engine fires and dies within 2 or 3 seconds... like it is starving for fuel. How can I determine it is getting enough gas... again new carb.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The old carb and the new look exactly alike....
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I bought the new carb since the thing had been sitting for 6 years with gas in it.... wasn't clogged but figured for 21 bucks, a new carb would solve any issues..... but I had been only a year after I used it and it would not start... Now finally have time and ambition to fix this.
5/29/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 24 days ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

how long has the new carb been on the machine? Sounds like a clogged fuel jet

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
one day... the carb is brand new.

will it start right back up briefly every time ?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
When you pull it fires and immediately shuts down. This is with the choke on full and throttle at 50%. (of note) It will not start or fire at full throttle. When I pull it again after a second it will fire again. Within 10 seconds of pulling it fires up again but the longer I wait the more robust firing and shutdown.....

Sounds like an ignition coil problem.spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid into the cylinder and see if it will run any longer

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I can say that on a hand full of occasions at a right adjustment the engine stays running for about 30 seconds. Then shuts off. Any load and it dies. touching the throttling lower or higher it dies.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
i removed the governor and that was no help.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 24 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Have you drained the new carburetor? On pressure washer, it seems they always get water in the fuel and it gets in the float bowl.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No water... fresh gas. I haven't had a chance to run the unit with the new carb except it firing and shutting down.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I mowed the lawn yesterday with the same gas.. no issues with fuel.

Does engine have an oil pressure switch or oil level switch?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I disconnected it to see if it would work.. no difference.. When I click the switch which is wired to the oil pressure switch, the engine will not fire. So disconnect oil switch, it will fire, disconnect on off switch no fire.

Is fuel flow from tank to carb good? Is flow thru the needle valve good? Did you replace the fuel line to the carburetor?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I fuel line clear... tank and filter on tank clear... I took the gas tank off and pulled the fuel line out. There is a 2 inch screen inside the tank as a filter that its white/yellow and a very thin screen. Gas passes through the no problem. How many drips per second should I get from the carb bowl to say adequate flow?

I would want a steady flow from bowl.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
flow or drip... from the bowl?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
there is speed screw on the side of the bowl...if I open that up... should it be drip drip or stream after I empty the bowl.

It should be a stream.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
will check it tomorrow.

OK>