Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Deere X534 riding mower won't go in reverse any more.

Customer Question
My John Deere X534...

My John Deere X534 riding mower won't go in reverse any more.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

John Deere X534. About 10-12 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's easy

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was working recently, then would only go slowly in reverse, now won't back up at all

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

The forward and reverse pedals both work a common lever on the transmission. The reverse linkage has slipped and needs adjustment. See the parts link below.

The adjustment is the slotted holes in the reverse pedal. Loosen the bolts, move the pedal to give it more travel, and test.