Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a cummins onan diesel 3200 generator on my RV which…

Customer Question
I have a cummins...

I have a cummins onan diesel 3200 generator on my RV which has been sitting idle for several months. It will start and run ok but when I put a load on it it will shut off and give the message that it is overloaded.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes plenty of fuel,

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Could the fuel filter be causing this issue. The unit only has 150 hours on it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/29/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model number and serial number of the genset?

model 3.2HDZAA-6508B SERIAL B11F002716

Thank you.

Yes, a bad fuel filter could definitely be causing this issue. If the engine can't get enough fuel, it can't develop full horsepower, so it can't pull a full load.

A restricted air filter will also cause the exact same affects.

Unless they are new, start with changing the air and fuel filters.