Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Starts but has no power. To all. It runs but does not

Customer Question
Starts but has no...

Starts but has no power

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes to all. It runs but does not produce electricity

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, no one in my area works on Generac

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No not really. pretty hand with small engines, but this has me stumped.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago

waiting for phone call at ****************

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
where are you? I need a phone call
5/28/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 24 days ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model number and serial number of the genset?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Model # 01470
Trying to get serial #
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Serial #(###) ###-####

If I had known it was a 01470, I wouldn't have needed the serial numer. Even though this unit is branded Generac, it is not a true Generac.

This is a BSPP unit.

If it is running, but not putting out power, the first thing you need to do is to try a procedure called flashing the field.

1. Remove the spark plug wire – you do not want the engine to start while doing this.
2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end left on the cord).
3. This step not needed.
4. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.
5. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.
6. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.
7. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
8. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.
9. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.
10. Disconnect the wires from the battery.
11. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.

If it is not, please let me know and we can troubleshoot further.
.

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 20 days ago

Did flashing the field work?

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 17 days ago

Hello, did that work?