Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a kohler LH690. When you turn the key you get

Customer Question
I have a kohler...

I have a kohler LH690. When you turn the key you get nothing. If I put it on the charger it will turn some but have to try it several times to start. Once I get it started it will run for about 5 mins and die

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes this is on a ramrod which is like a dingo

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It was working just find parked it at night next morning it had that problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/28/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Thanks

Battery has to be good, and charging system has to work. Is there an electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor?

Battery test good and not sure if carburetor has solenoid
Starter does

What does battery voltage drop to when you try to start?

Didn’t try that because I don’t get anything when I turn the key

You said it starts with jump?

After multiple try’s
Acts like it only moves the flywheel short distance but only when charger is on

If you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid and jump the cable terminal to the small switch terminal does the solenoid close and spin engine?

I just jumped the solenoid and got nothing

If battery voltage is above 12.5 volts, and the voltage gets to the starter, the starter can be bad.

Battery is 12.65
Just odd that it will turn over when on charger and nothing when not

I think you have battery or cable problem. Do you have a voltmeter to confirm?

Have a voltmeter

put it on the battery, then try to start, or jump the solenoid, if the voltage drops below 8 volts, battery or cabes. If it does nothing, then the starter is suspect. Try jumping direct to the starter with jumoer cables.

It drops below 8 without the charger on and I turn the key
When I jump the solenoid with the charger on it just spins but the starter doesn’t try to engage

I think you need a new battery!

If it’s just the battery then why does the flywheel only just move a little won’t make even a 1/4 turn
When on the charger

Can you rotate the engine 360 manually? The engine is not seized?

Can’t really get to where I can do that but have gotten it to start a couple times by turning the key multiple times

so the engine is not seized. Take battery in and have it tested.

I’m no expert but starter doesn’t seem to be fully functional like it should when jumping it and just hear a spinning noise when I jump the solenoid and it’s not trying to turn the flywheel

Is solenoid part of the starter? If it is, you have to jump cable terminal to switch terminal. otherwise, the motor will just spin and not kick out the starter Bendix.

I’ll replace the battery to eliminate that and then start again

OK>

I see the question is still open.??