Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have just watched how to replace the seal in the transaxle…

Customer Question
I have just watched...

I have just watched how to replace the seal in the transaxle of a craftsman mower. How do you refill the oil in the transaxle without removing it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's a craftsman###-##-####I bought it 3 years ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have the seals and 20w50 oil.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Small Engine
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Are you still working on my question?
5/27/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 25 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK, I'm confused. I thought you had an answer. I know how to replace the seals in the transaxle. How do you fill the transaxle with oil without removing it.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Im not paying $24 for an answer. I thought one question was free with my membership. Now Im getting ripped off for another $24.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I'm not working on it right now. I thought I'd be getting the answer in an email.

From what I see, you have the CVT transmission made by General. And there is no provision to add oil! Are you sure you have the right parts, as they show no seals in the Sears parts list.?

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 19 days ago

I see the question is still open.??

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
You are correct. There is no place to add oil. But sears did have the seals part #587086401 which goes on the output shaft, and kept telling me I needed to replace the oil but didn't tell me where or how. Kept referring me to youtube, which was useless videos. And I guess you didn't really know the answer either because you didn't know there were seals. So, thanks for your help, but I now have the problem fixed. I called General.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 18 days ago

What was there solution? looking at the transmission, in there manual, it does not show oil fill.??

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
All I had to do was change the seals (a 25 minute job) and that's it. Said not enough oil leaked out to hurt it, cause I caught it right away. So I can drive it till it don't go no more, then replace the transaxle, or junk the mower.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 17 days ago

So there is no way to add oil. Thanks for the update.