Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Kohler CV14T on a Toro Proline had a problem

Customer Question
I have a Kohler...

I have a Kohler CV14T on a Toro Proline had a problem starting installed a new ignition module and a regulator/rectifier started up fine but the blades would not engage. Put the old reg/rec back on and they engaged with no problem. Called supplier they said they had no problem with that part but sent me a replacement anyway, I installed it when it arrive and the blades would not engage. Put old one back on and works fine. Any ideas or could both new ones be defective.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes to all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
5/28/2018
Technician: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 2 months ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer.com.
I'm so sorry that a JustAnswer Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question?
Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Gina~Moderator
continue, My mower is a pull start not electric, reg/rec part number 41-403-9-S part received to replace it is 41-403-10-S .Is there a difference between the to units are could they both be defective?
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide me with the spec number from your CV14T engine? This will help me to identify the correct regulator/rectifier for your engine. Since the mower is pull start only and has no battery then I suspect that you have the wrong rectifier/regulator. However since it is working with the old one then I don't see a real issue, I would ask for a refund from the place where you purchased the regulator/rectifier if they will give you one(most places will not accept returns on electrical parts). It does require a different regulator versus a machine with electric start.

Hi John, thanks for getting back to me, my name is ***** ***** spec number is *****

I apologize for it taking this long for me to get back with you.

Based off of your spec number you need a Kohler 12755111S regulator/rectifier kit. You could also use an aftermarket Stens 435-563 which would do the same at a lesser cost.

Because you have no battery on the machine it requires a higher output regulator in order to operate the electric clutch for the mower deck.

I hope that you find this information to be helpful.

Thank you for choosing to use our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

John, I sent a reply right after I sent the spec number, that same time I had a message directly
from Kohler who I contacted before I did just answer, they gave me the info I needed with the
correct part number and the supplier would not do a refund but agreed to send me the correct part.
I am glad that you have gotten it figured out. Was the number that Kohler gave you the same as what I sent to you? Have a great weekend! Sorry that the supplier would not do a refund however that does happen a lot on electrical parts.
it is the same as Kohler sent me