Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

MY yardman lawnmower about 20 years old will start but dies…

Customer Question
MY yardman lawnmower about...

MY yardman lawnmower about 20 years old will start but dies right after. i replaced the air filter and spark plug with the same result. I did not drain the gas and oil for the winter but I never do. It mowed my yard a few weeks ago but it died in the tall, tall grass next door and has never recovered. It still starts and dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, there is fuel in the tank but it is from last fall. I did clean off the outside .i don't know about a shut-off valve. It is a simple machine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I mow my own yard, but know nothing about repairs. I hate to put it in my trunk to take it to a repair place if it will be expensive or not worth it because it is old. It is kept in my garage when not being used.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/25/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 2 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will be assisting you with this issue today

What you are describing is your jet is getting plugged in the carb

get a bottle of SeaFoam auto/Hardware store must be SeaFoam

add 2-3 oz to gas tank keep choke part on to pull the cleaner thru the carb

it will take a bit to work

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​