Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Kohler SV540 starts, doesnt turn over, unless with carb

Customer Question
Hi Kohler SV540 starts...

Hi Kohler SV540 starts, doesnt turn over, unless with carb cleaner. Have changed oil, oil filter, new gas, gas filter, new carb, adjusted valves, checked solenoid, spark plug. Any other ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, gas it getting to the carb bowl

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would hope, but running out of ideas :)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that is it, trying to remember if i did anything else

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/25/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

thanks

If you have fuel to the carburetor bowl, the only thing that can keep fuel from the cylinder is the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor. Does it have to have 12 volts as soon as the key is turned on. Is it working? Best way to test is to take the old solenoid you have, remove the working tip and install it in the new carburetor as a dummy. Then see if the engine starts and runs.

Yea, I have tried the one I took out of the old carb, and plug the wire in, watch it go up and down while turning the key

But you have not disables one and used it as a dummy?

when you say tip are you just talking about the part that goes up and down? Not the whole solenoid?

Yes, the working end, that plugs the main jet.

remove the top part from the old carb, that was working, when the tractor wasnt working, to the new carb?

Just the dummy solenoid for test.

Any other ideas? Ill try that, but it seems really unlikely that I had a tractor that didnt start, with a solenoid that worked, and moving it to a brand new solenoid
would make it work

You have fuel to the carburetor, it is not getting to the cylinders. The main jet is how it gets there. This solenoid plugs the main jet. By running this test, you will take it out of the equation.

Ok I will give it a go. I will let you know. Thanks

OK>

Hi Curtis, just got back from trying out the other solenoid without any luck. When unscrewed and hooked up to the electric they both act properly. UP, then turn key to start, Down, stays down until key is removed.
On thing I did notice while watching is a sputtering/mist of gas come out of the carb as i turned the engine on and it would not fire.

You said it ran on carb cleaner, so it has to be a fuel problem. So you didn't disable one of the solenoids and try it as a dummy?

I disabled the new one and put in the old one. No dice, while the new one was out I tested that one too. They are both acting correctly.

Did you remove the tip and install it in the carburetor?

The lever part or the whole solonied

The plunger on the end that plugs the main jet.

remove just the top part that moves up and down and place it in the other one?

No , take the moving part out, and install the part that is left!

Got ya! Ill try it in the morning. Sorry for misunderstanding

I will check back!

Totally removed the spring part of the dummy soloneid. Still not firing, but almost spraying gas out toward the air filter. Begins to fire, but not completely when using carb cleaner.

I wonder if the timing key between the flywheel and the crankshaft could be damaged. and the problem is timing and not fuel??

Are there certain parts or instructions you might have to look at that?
Should I try the screwdriver method first?

you need a puller to remove the flywheel and check the key.

Purchased a puller this evening at Harbor Freight. Removed the flywheel, key was in perfect condition and placement.

So timing key is not the problem. Did you ever check the valves for clearance and check the compression on the engine?

adjusted the valves with a valve gauge. Used compression gauge from autozone, came in around 90psi.

Has spark, has fuel, has compression, outside timing is good. Only thing left is internal timing, on the camshaft and crankshaft gears. When did it last run? Did it quit under use?

Maybe a week before I got on here. Gas ran out on one of the tanks. Switched to other, didnt start. Got new gas from gas station, added it to dry tank, same problem.

The engine was built with plastic camshaft gears, they are known to fail. See service manual above.