Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I am having problems with my deer LA-105 lawnmower with a…

Customer Question
Hi I am having problems...
Hi I am having problems with my John deer LA-105 lawnmower with a 19.5 Briggs it won’t start I was driving it when it started to make kinda a poping sound then died. I checked spark it seemed good against the block. It starts with air filter removed but It runs very rough I think it is a internal engine problem like cam, valves, or cylinder but my knowledge with those components is very limited any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
now I pulled the cylinder head apart at there is a lot of carbon build up and I am thinking it could be a valve problem but don’t know much about this
Maybe valves need to be adjusted? Don’t know how to do that also the bars that go to the valves were not bent so that’s a good sign I think but again I’m not very knowledgeable
5/25/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Sounds good
Wat u thinking

Take the cylinder head and put fluid, water will do, in the intake port and see if the water comes out around the valve head. It should not leak. Then flip the head over and fill the exhaust port and look again for leaking valves. No leak, valves are good. As for valve adjustment, head has to be installed on the engine before any adjustment can be made.

I already took the valve cover off I will put it back on
Sorry I just re read that and I realized u need the valve cover off and I do not see a leak

SO you don't have the head off. >.004 to .006 inch on the valve adjustment.

I have the head off and filled both manifolds with water and did not see any leaks

So valves are not leaking. With the head off, take one of the pushrods, and hold it against the lifter, and turn the engine and see if the pushrod and lifter seem to be moving in proper sequence, this engine can have cam lobes oose on the shaft, throwing off the timing. Your photo is typical looking Briggs cylinder head.

Ok I did that already and I did not have much movement at all how much movement are we looking for
Also it seemed to be very hot when it died and it almost sounded like knocking

We are looking and feeling for slippage of the cam lobes. Not sure how to gage it.

My plug was black I replaced it
Still not running right
They should go back and forth opposite of each other correct ?
When I spin the fan

Yes and the distance should not change. Only real way to know if the camshaft is bad is to remove it and check the lobes!

How hard is it to pull the cam shaft
Is there anything else I can check with the head before tearing in to that?
What would cause a cam shaft to go bad?

The engine has to be removed, and the sump separated from the block. The head is not the problem. But I would check the timing key on the flywheel and crankshaft before pulling the engine.

Ok what is the easiest to start with

Remove the flywheel with a small puller and check the flywheel key.

Ok is it just like shaft pin?

A square key, about 1/2 inch long.

As long as the grooves for the key are in alignment, the key is ok and flywheel does not need to come off.

Ya they are good
Wats next

That's your choice. Pull engine and check the can=mshaft or put it all back together and try to make it run.

When you say try to make it run do you have an idea of wat else it could be and do? Do you have an estimate cost for replacing the cam shaft? And would I need special tools to replace the cam?

Camshaft is less than 75$ and you need no special tools,

793880 is camshaft.

Ok thank you I will look tomorrow can you please give me starting point of what’s first in removing the shaft

Getting the lower pulleys off the engine, cleaning the crankshaft end, so it will slide through the sump cover, remove the sump bolts and separate the engine. Camshaft can then be pulled out.

Getting past my bedtime!

Me too thanks I’ll let you know

OK>

I see the question is still open.??