Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My gravely will crank but no start, when you turn the key to…

Customer Question
My gravely will crank but...
My gravely will crank but no start, when you turn the key to on the oil light will stay lit until engine is running however the light goes out just as you crank. I replaced my ignition switch but no avail, if I wiggle wire harness I sometimes hear a click and light goes on but only shortly
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
5/1/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is the engine make and model? Carburetor or fuel injected?

Kohler carb
24-25 hp
Spent two months out in weather prior to problem

Kohler twin engine, so it has two ignition modules, and both would not be bad. It has an oil pressure switch, you could locate it, and after checking the oil level, unplug the sender to see if it is killing the spark.

Where would sender be located?

Should be next to the oil filter.

Depends on the model number!

What about intermittent clicking when touching the wire harness?

Sounds like a bad connection, you just have to trace the area you shake to get the result and follow up.

I have traced the connections and all are ok, can relay be part of trouble, there are three connected to harness, do they either work or not
If the oil pressure was issue, the light would stay on while cranking and it does nor

Can be a relay. Mark the relays and swap one for another.

Not oul not relays
To go over again, when the key is turned to on prior to start the oil pressure light is lit, but not always. When the light does come on I crank and not start. Then reset key to on and no light. Whatever elec triggers that function is issue, oil level is fine, I cannot get sender wire apart at connection, but that is outside the problem as the oil light should stay on until mower is running
Any other ideas?

NO, let me opt out, and see if anyone else will reply. Sorry.