Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Allmand TLB325 backhoe with a Kohler CH730S twin…

Customer Question
I have an Allmand...

I have an Allmand TLB325 backhoe with a Kohler CH730S twin cylinder,725CC engine.About a year ago one cylinder stopped firing because there was no spark.One week ago, I finally got around to replacing the ignition module on the failed cylinder and because the manufacturer recommended it, I replaced the other ignition module. While waiting for the second ignition module to be delivered, I tried to start the backhoe. There was plenty of spark but the engine would not run. Two days ago, I replaced the second ignition module and now there is no spark on either cylinder.I removed the kill switch lead to see if there was any safety switch lockout but it didn't make any difference. The engine turns over as normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

There is fuel in the tank and I have also tried starting fluid. When I crank the engine with the throttle open and the choke on, I can smell the gas.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We don't have many available mechanics where I live so I am going to do as much as I can by myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The engine often backfires after I try to start it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
4/3/2018
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
I would like to confirm something. Are you removing the kill wires from both coils before checking for spark to your spark plug?
If neither coil is producing a spark, even without your kill wires attached, this could indicate that both coils have failed.
If your ignition switch is allowing voltage to flow to your coils, the voltage will cause your coils to fail.
This is will happen if your ignition switch has failed and is at fault.
If you have multimeter, Check to see if there is voltage in your kill wires when your ignition switch is on.
Also, repeatedly turn your ignition switch on and off several times, as you check for voltage.
I will check for voltage at the kill wires tomorrow morning. If this condition occurs, does it destroy the coils?
Even a small amount of voltage.