Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

No power to the 2185 fuel solenoid via the single wire that…

Customer Question
No power to the 2185...
No power to the 2185 fuel solenoid via the single wire that plugs into the solenoid, got power from key switch on orange (S) and red (R) wires and past the connector plug. here these 2 wires go into the engine cover, there's only one (1) wire to the fuel solenoid. I cannot understand how these 2 wires become 1 from these schematics or trying to peak into the engine shroud. what where how these 2 wires become one? think what ever controls this is my problem!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
4/2/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 3 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi Pete

I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today

the wires go to the low oil pressure switch

then a single wire branches off to the fuel shut off

solenoid, check the LOP switch

I hope this helps you ​

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

I dont have power to the fuel solenoid, in either start or run. are you are saying that some how the LOP switch controls the 12 v to the fuel solenoid.?? if so, then what is the procedure to check LOP ? replace, resistance ck, voltage?

Hi

use a volt meter and with tractor on, 1 terminal should have 12 volts to it

or unplug the LOP switch, make sure it does not ground

and see if it starts

OK, see if I understand this, with the key switch in run position, remove the single wire from the LOP (insure it no touch ground) then a multimeter check at the wire for the fuel solenoid should reveal the lost 12 V? is this correct ?

Hi Pete

Yes that is correct

thanks, ***** ***** to drive 70 miles to ck this, will b back with u later this PM.

Hi Pete

there is another thing to check is the brake inter lock switch

it is #17 in the Pic

make sure that is working

sorry, got no pic, by chance are u talking about interlock switch(###) ###-####which has the orange wire to it, which is used in start position only. if so its good. ps & fyi; i find no schematic that shows oil pressure switch going CFS

Hi

The pic is just above you click on the blue

I opened it

I have just been called out, will return in 60-90 min and will get back and answer your questions

returned from these checks; no difference... brake switch works, removal of connector at LOP switch does not get me 12 v @ the fuel solenoid. there is only 1 wire on LOP and no voltage there. I think i have done these checks before, just wanted to do again to B sure. any more suggestions? remember I have to travel a long distance to perform any checks, so its not quick or easy.

Hi

yes I am sorry for the travel

you said you checked the fuse, is it behind the battery

check the wire itself for power, not the fuse it will be red to the solenoid

another thing is Ign switch is faulty

Also ,does the amp light stay on ??

Ok lets try this again ,,,, from the schematic and in fact from the switch, there is a orange wire that is energized in the start position, all good as far as i can test which is to the electrical plug on side of engine! 12 V goes into and out of this plug when ignition switch in S mode. now same when ignition switch in run mode, all good! Orange wire de-energized, Red wire energized, these 2 wires are not and cannot B connected, they go somewhere into the engine shroud, but do not get to the fuel solenoid. i assume u ask if ignition switch faulty, dont think so if these 2 wires are being energized at the correct time

Hi

Thank you for that

the wire that is at the solenoid is red, that needs to have 12 v key on

OK, IGN good per your test .

let me see if I can find wire diagram on this

Your question, AMP light stay on, since engine do not start, I have to say yes > I have 12v to the center contact on the alternator/rectifier or what ever this charging mechanism is called. Is there a relation here to the fuel solenoid by chance?

Hi

yes if the light stays on the power is not going to the F/solenoid

Well, I dont expect it to b any other way than on ,if the engine does not run, and I already know there is no power to the FS, so how do we get outa this?

Hi

you also said yo checked relay ?? try swapping with another

feel it click ?/

do you have the wire diagram for this ??

there is a diode in the wire from the solenoid F/S

may be, butno, not familiar with relay, is this covert for switch

Hi

Do you have the wiring diagram ??

I have one, looks similar to one previously on these posts, dont know if its the same as u have, but OK

Hi

From the brake switch which we talked about earlier

goes to the engine connector the orange wire is from the switch and goes to connector and comes out red to F/solenoid

Dont see this, there is no relay in my diagram, nor is there in my config. also already confirmed orange wire is used only when ign is in S position and is energized at correct time thru the plug, however it does NOT get to the fuel solenoid

Hi

You have the 2200 series 2001 correct ??

Sorry Wayne, it appears we are going in circles, My post starts 2185 No power to fuel solenoid. u spoke of relay? nosee relay in circuit to F/S. Then u talked of a diode, dont see this either, then wiring diagram. I think we need to get focused, Im about out of time for today

I will send you the diagram I have for the 2185

you will see the diodes, and orange wire into the engine connector then to F/solenoid

I hope this helps you

OK now we may get somewhere, the red & orange wire s are hot when need be. Obviously the diodes must b the problem, since voltage no get to F/S. Now most important , where are the darn things and what part number.

Hi

You need to follow the wires down from the solenoid

and look for the diodes inline of the wire

I looked in the part book , but they must be in the wire harness section

will need to give them call

cant follow wires without removing engine then remove shroud. could it b in with the alternator/charging thingy. I believe these wires come from inside the shroud? really need to know where and how to get to them.

Hi Pete

I can not tell you exact, just guide you along

but yes they are near the Magneto

need to continue this tomorrow, I must go down, got to work tonight. New topic magneto, where it be?

OK

Talk in The Am

hi , have u had any luck on finding the suspect diodes location?
Yo any body home???
Im not satisfied, someone best get with me soon or ratings will be bad, and payment will B withdrawn!

Hi

Sorry for the delay

Was gone all day at doctors and Therapy

gone at 11 am and just back 2:30

we were discussing this last night

I told you they are near the Magneto look at the diagram and you will see them (MAG)

Yes I found out the diodes are part of the wire harness

I did spend a lot of man hours working with you on this