Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Intermittent Running Karcher Gas Power Washer: Karcher

Customer Question
Intermittent Running Karcher Gas Power...
Intermittent Running Karcher Gas Power Washer:
Karcher Pressure Washer Details
Model K 2400 HH
Part No. 1. 194 - 301. 0
Serial No.(###) ###-####2.5 GPM
2400 PSI
Honda GC160 5HPRan for an hour at a time before manual switch off yesterday. Today runs for less than a minute when actually washing. Plenty of gas. Plenty of water pressure. What's up?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Small Engine
I have discovered that the engine will run for at least 5 minutes just idling (i.e. not doing any power washing) but dies in less than a minute (often only 15 seconds or so) when the trigger is pulled to start actually using water and power washing.
What causes that behavior?
4/1/2018
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello. My name is Donald.
I will be happy to assist you.
It is very likely that your carburetor is at fault, and needs to be cleaned.
Remove the bowl from your carburetor and check for sediments and water in the bottom of your fuel bowl.
We can continue from here.

You may also have either a partially clogged jet or a partially clogged fuel passage in the body of your carburetor.

I do believe that a good cleaning of your carburetor will resolve our problem.

Hi Donald,
Thank you for your reply, sorry I haven’t been able to get back to you sooner. I have been extremely busy preparing for the arrival of my son and his family tomorrow. They’re flying in from London. Which is why I wanted my Colorado sailboat to look nice and clean and hence the need for the power washer which I’ve had now for about 15 years or so – I think. It works well when it works but I’ve had this same kind of problem from time to time and have gotten pretty used to dealing with it. But it’s not exactly the same problem that happened this time. Usually it either works or it doesn’t. So I agree with your analysis that the carburetor is probably the problem and in fact I have a solution for that and it’s got even cheaper with time. Rather than fool around taking it apart and cleaning it, I now just put in a new one - they are only $10 postage-free, delivered in two days – you can’t beat that. So the new one is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.
Just for the record though Donald, I am unaware of any way of cleaning carburetors without disassembling them is that true still?
Also, what you think about the idea of letting them run until they run out of gas before you put them away? I only use my power washer about two or three times a year.
Thanks for your input,
All the best,
Clive

Thanks for your response. No problem on the wait. I also believe in preparing for family and friends.

You are correct. The best way to successfully clean a carburetor is by disassembling it.

If you are only using your pressure washer a few times a year, it is always good to run your tank dry. I also recommend that you use non-ethanol fuel and fuel stabilizer. Keep in mind that even if you completely drain your fuel tank, a small amount of fuel will remain at the bottom of your fuel bowl. That small amount is enough to turn stale and contaminate your carburetor.

This means that you will also need to drain your fuel bowl.