Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

One side of my zero turn mower is ver slugish, It is a

Customer Question
One side of my...

One side of my zero turn mower is ver slugish

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a white outdoor. I would say prob 10 years old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if i can

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is there a transmission on both side?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
I'm not sure if something is going out. I do not know what that is called that the steering stick is attached to... Transmission?
4/1/2018
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 4 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

One side of my zero is very sluggish and will barley move

Thanks for your response. The part is often referred to as a transmission, but it is a transaxle. Your mower has a transaxle on each side. Check the belt that drives the pulleys on your transaxle. If your drive belt is loose, worn, or slightly slipping, this problem can occur.

If your belt is at fault, it can affect the performance of only one transaxle, and the opposite side will continue to work.

We can continue from here.

The belt is not very old at all. Can that part go out? The other side works great

After 10 years, your transaxle could possibly be failing. Have you checked to see if your transaxle bypass rod is not partially in bypass/roll position?

Due to the cost of a new transaxle, it is best to be sure it has failed, before purchasing a new one.

Check for a build up of dirt and debris on your transaxle. Dirt and debris can prevent the bypass lever on your transaxle from fully releasing, and can also prevent the control lever on your transaxle from shifting fully into forward and reverse positions.

Check for a sign of an obvious leak on your transaxle. Check to see if your brake is partially sticking. These are external check points. If your transaxle passes your external inspections, the next step will be to purge your transaxle, in case it has trapped air inside.

Trapped air will also affect the performance of your transaxle.

Please click on the link below, to see information relating to purging the air from your transaxle.