Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I'm working on a 18 hp briggs, opposing twin. Curtis and I…

Customer Question
I'm working on a 18...
I'm working on a 18 hp briggs, opposing twin. Curtis and I have worked on this before and I thought I had it fixed, but no I don't. I am not getting fuel to the carb. The hoses are hooked up correctly, carb and fuel pump have been rebuilt. I have swapped out carbs and it did run. Put the original carb back on doesn't run. Put the swap carb back on, will not run. I don't think it is getting enough suction from the engine. Ant Ideas?
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 20 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Hey, Buddy, this is Rich!

Feel the line coming from the engine crankcase, it will not be a vacuum, but a pulse from the pistons moving in the crankcase. Is the crankcase closed, Oil cap on and tight? Hey Rich!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Oil cap on and tight, what is behind the pulse hose? It just doesn't seem like its getting enough suction to pull fuel up to the carb.

The pulse hose has to work the diaphragm in the fuel pump section of the carburetor. Do you feel the pulse?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It's out in the yard at the moment, but when I pull the suction tube off of the carb and crank it, it just doesn't feel like there is enough suction there to pull the fuel to the carb. I'm going to try to get this back into the shop today, I've had this thing for almost a year!!

OK>

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Personal note:
The city almost didn't give me my business license this year and said they would not give me one next year! I had to put up privacy fence and move any and all projects behind said fence!! This town has a population of less than 500. I have 1 neighbor to the north, he has no problem with what I'm doing and I own the property to the south. There are 2 people on the stupid council, (I mean city council) that doesn't want a business in a residential zone. So.....I'm trying to justify spending $10,000.00 per acre for land and then put up a $30,000.00 building! That's a lot of money for a business that only made $8,000.00 last year! Then also I'll have extra taxes, ele and water bills! The business just keeps growing and I just don't know what to do!! Year before we cleared $10,000.00, and I think this year it will be better than that. I'm guessing about $12,000.00 to $15,000.00. (Gut feeling)
You have always given me good advise, Dad's not here anymore to advise me, so "Adopted Daddy", what do you think I should do? I'm 51 years old, do I want to take on any more debt that may or not pay for it's self? 90% of my clientele is over the age of 65 and don't trust just anyone to work on there equipment. I have soo much repeat business that it's not even funny! And referrals, OH MY GOODNESS!
This is where I have a problem! I do good work, in a timely fashion, and at a reasonable price. People just keep coming back and telling their friends and this thing just keeps getting bigger! It's just not big enough to justify spending all of that money, (that I don't have) to keep it going!
What do I do?

Sad state when you can't work in your own home! I'm surprised a town with that few residents would have a need for a business license! Have you taken t to the city council and let the public in on their BS? Next option would be to rent a space out of the jurisdiction of the town.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Like I said, the city council are the ones that are trying to put me out of business!! What my "short term plan" is to walk the streets and have a petition signed by the residents to let me keep the business open. I see 2 things happening here, 1st the city council will see that the residents don't care if I have a business, and 2nd, look at the advertising that would be done in this small town!!
As far as renting a building outside of the jurisdiction of the town, well.... this is rule America.... as in, within the city limits we have pasture land with cattle grazing!! So finding a building is pretty much a NO! But I like the way you are thinking!!

I'm 11 miles from nearest town, in the country and the County has no restrictions!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
If you have time, or just curious, use Google Maps and check out my location. 109 Route O, Excelsior Springs, MO 64024
It may also be listed under Wood Heights, MO. (Zip code is the same) If you can find an overhead view, that would be better for you to see!!
Hey Buddy, Thanks so much for your help and support! I'm not getting anything done while I'm setting back drinking beer, smoking cigarettes and chatting with you!!I've got 2 mowers to work on, in and out projects, oil changes, blades and such, so I'll get back with you!I'll get back with you on this opposing twin.Again, THANK YOU for your support ! I really needed that little kick in the ass!!

OK>

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 15 days ago

I see the question is still open.??

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician