Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 06 Yamaha raptor 700r that will not start. When I…

Customer Question
I have a 06 Yamaha...
I have a 06 Yamaha raptor 700r that will not start. When I cross over the solenoid it just parks and nothing else. I put a socket on the crank and it turns freely both ways in neutral. I removed starter to check it...it spins fine on a bench test and gears look good.
The flywheel turns freely when turning the crank clockwise but not counter clockwise. I am at a loss??
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
what is taking so long for a response...????
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Is the solenoid sending the voltage to the starter? Or is the solenoid shorted out?

I bypasses the solenoid and went from the battery to the starter, the starter would still not turn over..

What does battery voltage drop to? Battery weak has to be above 12.5 volts, and cannot drop below 8 volts. or the starter is bad.

I just replaced the battery so that good, I bench tested the starter and it spins fine and with lots of tork.. So I don't know...

Run voltage test at the battery when you try to jump at the solenoid.

The battery reads 12.89 before jumping solenoid and 12.56 while jumping. The solenoid sparks so bad when jumping that it welds my tools and almost start fire ...Is that normal?

Sorry, I could not answer, someone, changed the category to motorcycle, which locks me out. No, it should be a light spark. Sounds more like a short to me. Could the cable going to the starter be shorted?

doesn't appear to be,
Last night I removed the starter, reconnected it to the battery ( Starter wire) while it was out, used cable to ground it.. turned on the key and pushed start button and it spun freely. Reinstalled starter and it does nothing... There has to be something preventing the starter from turning or something in the engine not turning that is jamming the starter. Inside the engine housing where the starter mounts in a flywheel, it turns freely one way but not the other, could this have anything to do with it?

No, the unit has a one-way clutch which lets the starter lock in one direction and freewheel in the other. I assume the engine is free and not locked!

It turns freely with a socket on the crank..
I guess the crank could be broken but I would think the starter would still turn, the engine would just have no compression and not start.. since it turns with a socket.

And the positive cable from the solenoid to the starter is not grounded? If the one-way clutch was bad, the starter just spins and would not turn the engine.

I can't find anything wrong with the starter cable...Like I said earlier with I remove the starter but leave the cable attached then ground the starter to the frame I can push the start button and the starter spins. But I will inspect the cable again...

Maybe the solenoid is shorted and is grounded gout the voltage to the starter cable. Use a volt/ohm meter and see if the solenoid is shorted to ground.