Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Here is what looks like a pump id and info off unit

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Also too some shots of the screen inlet. Looks good.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Should I take this off?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
The inlet is what T’s into it.
3/29/2018
Don
Don, Technician

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

I just repaired my pressure washer that looked very similar to yours.

I had plastic material coming out just like you did.

The problem was the swash plate inside the pump body was breaking apart.

There are no internal parts . The pump will come as a complete unit and you will have to transfer the hose fitting assembly to the new pump.

Mine cost me about $95 so I went for it and now it works fine.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok, so,....why in the heck does this pump keep going out?
I replaced the first one after not even a year, under warranty still. Now, no warranty. 2.5 yrs old.
What am I doing wrong that makes these things go out?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Why am I not seeing your reply online on the pc?

Are you running hot water through it?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
no. I do use it when I use it if you know what I mean, several hours at a time. One guy told me they are not made for that type of use and can get too hot. He said, they are only good for 30 minutes at a time, meant to spray off decks and sidewalks. I use the thing for odd jobs to make money on the side, pressure washing neglected fences etc. So when I run it, I run it until I run out of gas, ...then I put more gas in.
I am careful not to run it without the water on....sometimes I start it without the water on, but within 20 seconds, I have walked to the spicket and turned it on.

These units are for residential use and as such are not above average in quality.

I found one for you on ebay for $110

click here

I guess the more you pay the longer they last

They are just imported units, thats why you can't buy parts for them.

I have a Northern Unit 10HP 5000 PSI that I had for 15 yrs now, but I can buy a pump kit for it and have rebuilt it once and it is starting to leak again.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
hmmm, I thought this was a good one. The motor certainly is.

Yes exactly, there is just not much oil in the pump housing and that is what happens.

You may want to buy a better unit.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
is it possible to get a better pump that will fit on this thing?

Yes, mine has a little Honda engine, thats why I bought a new pump. But I use it only for short jobs. When I do my driveway I use my 10hp unit.

No unlikely, the bolt patterns are different for each unit. And all the vertical pumps as far I found were made by the same company. They must supply everyone that makes these small washers.

I hope you feel that I given you my best effort on helping you out today with your problem.

Just Answers asks that you operate on the honor system for technician ratings. and this is how I make my living. May I ask that you please take a moment to rate my service positive for JA by selecting a Rating Star (3-5) on the top or bottom your screen before you leave today.

Even though you paid JA or Pearl to ask your question, they will not pay me until you have given a positive rating for my help.

If you want me to be able to come back and help you at a later date or time, you will need to rate my help today before logging off.

Once you rate my help you will be "locked in" so you can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge if you still need assistance.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don

Don
Don, Technician
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
the motor on mine is good, right.?
So, like upgrading a car by putting a turbo on, are there more durable pumps I can put on this unit?? Any ideas of the types of people I could contact? I cant keep replacing the darn pump every year.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
whats the baddest pump they put on the Honda motor?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
you have given me more information than the first person I chatted with.
What PW is yours?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is it normal for these pumps to go out so frequently?

I could not tell you what kind of pump you could mount on the engine you have. The pumps are all rated by pressure and flow rate (2.5 on yours) and if you put one too big on your engine, it will just stall out when you run it. Plus they do not give you a lot of measurement specs on the mounting so it would be a crap shoot on your end. I would just fix it with a new pump, You can even change to oil on these small units, so there is nothing that you can do to make it last longer other than not to run it too long on one job.

Mine is 2200psi I think

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I rated you. Did you leave me?

I meant you can't change to oil on them

Still here, did you need anything else?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
oh. you said you cannot change the oil on the pumps? Why do they do that?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
This system sort of stinks. I type at the bottom, then Ido not see a reply below. I guess I have to scroll above to see your replies

Sorry, I am on a PC so I can't see what you see on your end.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
hmmm, cant pull the pump and put fresh oil in?
what is the failure mode when the pump goes? Are the seals inside plastic, so they melt or get soft?

My guess is there is such a small amount of oil in the pump, that it overheats and the water seal starts to leak water into the case and it mixes with the oil and then it is pretty much over.

If you take it apart, you probably see a tan foamy oil if you open the pump up.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
better unit meaning???? What? I thought I had a good one. How do I now if one is meant to take a lick and keep on ticking vs one is just meant to use 20-30 minutes at a time?
I have 4 cars in the driveway and when I wash one,all get washed. Sometimes I will run the thing for 2-3 hours.
so why the hell do they put such a big gas tank on if the pump cant take that much sustained use. If the tank would run out quicker, you would be forced to let the pump cool off some.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
removing all the contaminated oil and replacing the seal is too much of a pain. so just replace pump. I may see how much better of a unit I can get for a few more hundred dollars than I paid for this. I do not want to keep replacing 100 dollar pumps.
I think I will need to look for the trademark..."commercial".
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
what is your 10 hp one?

Something like this.

click here

I would call these guys, pressure washers are their business.

I am a user just like you and I picked up mine used a lot and it lasted about 3 months.

It was at a restaurant, but I got it for free, a 100 bucks was a good deal for me for small stuff and I had my big unit to the big jobs.

Northern Unit I paid 800 15 yrs ago and the honda engine is still going strong

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
last guy I talked to on here just before you, said this pump. Its only 2800 psi though....and it doesn't look like mine,similar but not the same...agree??
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012B1LNVK/ref=s9_acsd_zwish_hd_bw_buE49_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=ZKAZPBEPWEP89MHBYQSS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=c0c2d185-f892-59ac-a0bd-afa4cbb3a3d9&pf_rd_i=13400441
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
what Honda engine? is it the 190 OHV like mine?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
oh. u sent me a link.
So is that a nice one?
I do not see that it has a detergent tank. That is something I definetly like about mine
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
referring to
http://www.allpressurewashers.com/p-4868-honda-gx200-4ppx-cat-triplex-pump-25gpm-3300psi.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uzVBRDkARIsALkZAdnIIIKjJNe6OmWOshlLtoIq6Me_3uLwuEtVr5v7WeM59rb8NEBBa8YaAtJGEALw_wcB

They have to be exactly the same for most likely it will not mount to your engine.

I would check with who you buy it from to make sure it will mount up.

Most washers now have a low pressure suction line for detergent.

Thats the plastic tube they have looped on the pump.

I have some other questions to attend to before I log off for the night,

You can leave a question if you want me to answer, but you will not see it till tomorrow.

Have a great evening

I hope I have help you make some decisions

Don

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
this one is about 2x what I paid for mine. Any better?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-3700-Honda-Powered-Gas-Pressure-Washer/1000386545
Don
Don
Don, Technician