Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Dixon Kodiak ZTR Commercial. When I turn the control arms in…

Customer Question
Dixon Kodiak ZTR Commercial...

Dixon Kodiak ZTR Commercial. When I turn the control arms in to drive the engine dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

Maybe 6-8 years old. No problem LIKE this but once had brake switch problem similar.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Small Engine
3/28/2018
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 25 days ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

I would like to pull up a wiring diagram for your mower. I will need the model numbers for your mower.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have a Dixon Kodial ZTR Commercial mower. Approx 6-8 years old. When I turn the control arms in to drive the engine dies.

Thanks for your response.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Please answer via E-mail or this site

The phone call is only optional and is not for this discussion.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
OK...Do you have a wiring diagram to solve my problem?

I will need your model numbers, in order to pull up a diagram.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Kodiak ZTR

There should be a tag on your mower, that will have your model numbers on it. With these numbers, I can check for a wiring diagram that is specific to your mower.

Have you checked your parking brake safety switch?

Check the wiring connector that attaches to your parking brake safety switch. Also, make sure that the button on your safety switch is moving in and out freely.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Not the problem

Thanks for confirming. The reason I asked, is because if your parking brake switch is not working properly, your safety features falsely think that you are not in a safe operating position.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I know

Will your engine continue to run, if you attempt to engage your blades?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
NO...but it shouldn't with the arms out

What about if the arms are in?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
That is the PROBLEM! Engine dies when I move the arms in to operating position...

These are troubleshooting questions. If both control arms are out, and your parking brake is on, your engine should continue to run, if you engage your blades.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
It did NOT from brand new day one.

Just in case I am missing something, I will opt out and give another tech an opportunity to help you resolve this problem.

Thank you and I do hope all goes well for you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I think it is beyond a chat like this. You may keep the $5 but DO NOT SIGN ME UP FOR A CONTINUING MONTHLY CHARGE. CANCEL EVERYTHING. THANKS FOR TRYING...
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 24 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Check the two arm switches, one of them is not completing the run circuit. Check with a meter for continuity, or visually see if both switches are moving in and out when the arm contacts them. A good spray of WD40 can free them up.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician