Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Subject: Sectional garage door (while opening or closing) is…

Customer Question
Subject: Sectional garage door (while...
Subject: Sectional garage door (while opening or closing) is scraping against (and slowly damaging) wall of garage, at both the left and right sides. Detail: I have a new-construction home for about 2.5 years, and recently I noticed damage ( of paint, and structure from scraping) along the vertical side of walls where it meets the vertical edges of the sectional garage door. My question: Will a garage door contractor be able to adjust the garage door (so that it will not be so tightly in contact with wall), AND fix the damage that has been caused so far along the wall? What questions should I ask of the contractor to see if he is qualified to fix both? Thanks. ( I have photos to show if you need it.)
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Small Engine
3/28/2018
Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 28 days ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi...........can you take some overall pictures of the garage door?............this is a manual opening door and the sides are hitting?..........why is it so tight ?..........what is the door made of?....is that drywall that is scraped or the wood frame?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks.
1. This is a sectional door, with a garage door opener (not manual door).
2. "Dry wall or wood frame?" Good question! Every time the door is being opened and closed, the sides are hitting (scrapping) the drywall (of the garage more and more over time, 2.5 years now). It did not touch the wood frame (yet) because the wood frame is slightly ( a few millimeters) set back from the dry wall. My question to you for this: Is this then a construction problem and not something easily fixable by a garage door contractor?
3. "Why is it so tight?" This is a question for you. OR what kind of expert should I be asking this question of? (I assume a garage door contractor?.)
4. The garage door is made of one layer of metal, of which cheaper sectional doors are usually made of.I will include a photo when I can take it, if you still need it. Thanks.

yes I still need the photos.......with the door opened ......closed ..........inside and outside.......the side of the door ...........and if you could back up on the damaged wall

Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 24 days ago

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

Eddie
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor