Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Generator won't start until we provide 12 volts to fuel

Customer Question
Generator won't start until...

Generator won't start until we provide 12 volts to fuel shutoff solenoid otherwise won't start. We changed all sensors. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I am

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Onan 12500 quiet diesel generator.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 4 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

if the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb?

It's s diesel generator and it's located on end of fuel rail.
Sorry, I just seen this was a diesel gen set. I'm strickly a gas tech. Sorry, I will opt out in hopes of a diesel mechanic to assist you soon
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 4 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial number of the genset?

Model12.5hdcab11506a
Serial dooo087764

Ok.

This unit does not have a fuel solenoid. It has a governor actuator.

Have you tested the wires going to the actuator to see if they have 12V while cranking?

They have 4-6 volts. We add 12volts and generator fires up. We have replaced both sensors. Temp and oil.

The temp and oil switches have nothing to do with this - they are both bypassed during cranking.

The actuator gets its voltage straight from the control board.

If you are only getting 4 - 6 volts on the actuator wires, either the wire is partially broken between the control board and the actuator, or the control board is bad.

That the board in the air box. If so they can be pricey w no returns.

Yes, that is the board on the air intake resonator.

Do you have any recommendations on testing board. I have heard problem could be that generator getting weak. I don't believe this due to when we provide 12v to actuator it will run 2-a/c units and entire racing rig forever until we take 12v away. Also if you still thinking the board where best place to buy part from. Thanks

There is no way to directly test the board.

As I said earlier, the board directly powers the actuator. Either the wire between them is bad, or the board is bad.

A weak generator has nothing to do with it. The generator is not producing any power while it is sitting still, and only minimal power while cranking.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Hello, was this what you wanted to know?

Due to your refusal to respond, I will be reporting you as a non-compliant customer.