Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere x475 with a kawasaki carbuerator engine.

I have a John...

I have a John Deere x475 with a kawasaki carbuerator engine. After cranking, both spark plugs foul with too much gas. Any ideas why this may be happening?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

I think I bought the mower new in 2004. No work has been done to it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I used to be an automotive mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I was wondering if this carburetor had a needle and seat or a fuel shut off valve?

3/27/2018
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

did you check for good blue spark ??

No. Installed New plugs, but they still foul after running a couple of minutes.

Thank you for the response

You need to check if you are getting good blue spark at the plugs

let me know

Pulled plug to check spark. Yellowish blue best l can tell. Noticed fuel pump continues to run. Blowing raw fuel out of spark plug hole when testing spark.

Thank you for the response

OK that is your issue the needle valve in the carb is not seating

I suggest you get a new needle and seat for the carb

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

It appears to have some type of solenoid or fuel shut off valve in the bottom of the carburetor. Will it also have a needle and seat internal to the carburetor. I purchased a carburetor rebuild kit form John Deere but no needle and seat was in it. Do you have to purchase the needle and seat separately?

Hi

No when the machine is turned off keeps it from backfiring

it also used as the needle valve to shut off fuel

I hope this helps you

does it have a needle and seat in the carburetor?

Hi

No the fuel shut off acts as both

it appears I need a fuel shut off valve, correct?

Hi

Yes that is correct

Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Hi Wayne. You there?

Hi

Yes I am here

Replacing the fuel shut off valve did not fix the problem. When l turn on the ignition switch, fuel pump continues to run.
Do I need to call you?

Hi

It is still dumping gas into the cylinders ?? and not firing ??

No , I can not do calls

Gas will run out of the spark plug holes with only the ignition in the on position and the engine not turning over.

Thank you for that

that is a carb issue, drop the bowl and turn the key on and see if it pumping in

Are you there? I still have the same issues after replacing the needle and float. Is there anything else other than the carburetor that can cause this problem?

Morning

I go offline at6 pm cst

I noticed you say needle and float

what about the seat, where the needle valve s goes into ??

The seat is non-replaceable on this carburetor according to the dealer. The entire carburetor must be replaced.

Hi

Thank you for that

that is the only way that the gas will continue to flow

you may have to replace the carb

let me look at the parts book

Thanks

Hi

well sorry to say, they are correct seat is part of the body

you did replace the solenoid on bottom of the carb Correct

Hi

I want to say then there is a tiny crack in the carb

that is dumping gas into cylinders

I will get a replacement carburetor on order. Thanks for your help.

Hi

You re welcome

don't buy from JD, get it online save $$