Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We have a 2007 Pace Arrow RV. Our Onan generator has been…

Customer Question
We have a 2007...

We have a 2007 Pace Arrow RV. Our Onan generator has been run regularly, under load, as advised. Last Fall, before we left on a 2 week trip, I had the genset serviced by our regular dealer. No problems. Our son took the RV to Florida last winter for a month. He used the generator fairly regularly as he camped at a location that didn't have electrical power. Still no problems. Before he came home, the generator would start, run for a minute or two and die. Re-start would happen easily and still die. I have been unable to take the RV back to our dealer due to family illnesses. Can you give me an idea, with so little information, what I might be faced with?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Tank has been 3/4 to full. The shut-off valve is open. Fuel is as clean as one might expect when bought from name brand stations.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'll take it back to the dealer, about 25 miles away, as soon as I'm able.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I've seen several suggestions such as fuel pump problems, fuel filter, etc. Maybe I'm assuming enough service was done at the last service.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Small Engine
3/27/2018
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 27 days ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What are the model and serial number of the genset?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Headed to RV storage. I’ll get back to you ASAP.

Ok.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hank,
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. My wife had surgery a few days ago and I've been unable to get away from home like I thought I would. I'm the chief cook, bottle washer, sweeper, pill dispenser, etc. I'll get back as soon as I can get over to the storage lot and get that info. As I remember, the Onan genset is a Gold and 5000 watts. The RV is a 2007 model, if all that helps in advance to the actual model number.

Not a problem at all. Take care of your wife -she's way more important than the genset.

I hope she gets well soon.

That really doesn't help. Marquis Gold tells me that it is an HGJ series, and the 5500 tells me it is most likely an HGJAB, but there are 11 different versions of it. I will need the actual model number.

But knowing it is an HGJ, I can tell you that the generator has set a trouble code. So while you are getting the model number, also retrieve the code.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

Take all the time you need. There is no time limit on this, and I am in no hurry. I am not going anywhere soon.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician