Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Need breaker point gap on a 16hp cast iron briggs engine ype…

Customer Question
Need breaker point gap...

Need breaker point gap on a 16hp cast iron briggs engine ype 0020

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

It's in a montgomery ward garden tractor about 1964 and I need to replace the breaker points

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I have gas engine exp. I just the the gap of the points (like .10 or .15 thousands) and ecrt

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just the point gap thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/27/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 4 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Do you have the rest of the model number? Single cylinder, not the opposed twin? Points under the flywheel?

I see a Y model and looks like all the cast iron, older models all set at .020 inch.

Thanks, ***** ***** is correct!

I see the question is still open.??