Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have a Poulan Pro 4218a 42cc chainsaw and when I pull the…

Customer Question
Have a Poulan Pro...

Have a Poulan Pro 4218a 42cc chainsaw and when I pull the start string it will not start. The rope spring pulls the rope back in but on the pull it feels like it’s not engaging and turning the engine. Pulls really easy.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Prior to this when I pulled the starting handle the rope would eventually extend out and I would have to manually wind it back up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was going to take it to a repair shop and I am sitting in my car so I started looking for repair shios when I ran into your site.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. It belongs to a friend of mine and I was either going to get it repaired or by him new or refurbished one.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/26/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 3 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

What you are describing is there are 2 cogs

the rope start that engages the engine

sounds like 1 or both broke off

I suggest replacing the recoil rope start

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

Thanks Wayne. I will get the parts and try that. Do you have any suggestions where I can buy the part today here in San Diego and perhaps the part number. R/Bob
I can’t do any work without the parts so I will check around for a shop.

Hi

what is the make and model

I will look it up

HI

Disregard that I see it at the top of screen

Hi

click here for the clutch

click here for the drum in case you need that

but probably not

I hope this helps you

Please remember to rate 5-stars

So I get the credit for the question

MorningJust following up with youDid my answer help youWayne

Morning

I took the time to answer your question

Please take the time to respond to me