Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I asked a question the other day and didn't have time to get…

I asked a question...

I asked a question the other day and didn't have time to get my answer. My email is***@******.***. Can you help me find the answer and resend the answer link. It was about connecting springs on a snapper rider brake cable.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About a week to research and order the cable. The springs were broken so I don't know they connected to

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. New cable is installed.

3/25/2018
Don
Don, Mechanic

Hi there my name is don

May i have a year and model number please

Don

Sure. It is a 2001 Snapper model LT 145 H 38 GBV. It is a hydrostatic drive series G lawn tractor with a front mount engine. I replaced a brake cable that three main connection points. One goes to the brake bedal, one goes to the drive belt idler, and the third goes to the rear brake linkage -these are all connected correctly.There are also two springs and I have connected one to the drive belt idler where the old spring was. There is a second spring that goes to the rear of the tractor somewhere near the brakes. I'm not sure where to connect this since the old spring was broken.

Hi there thanks for that great information

i am going to give you a link but its a pretty standard set up for your machine but they are exploded views

please look at that while i have a look for youre specific model but at least it will indeed give you an idea as each area is broken down

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/snapper-3312511be-125-rear-engine-rider-series-parts-c-207777_207778_211530.html

don

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/snapper-lt145h38gbv-84592-145-hydro-drive-tractor-series-parts-c-207777_207778_208965.html

the last set is your machine

can you follow schematics ?

Don

The brake cable assembly I bought is item 36 on the "frame clutch brake steering components diagram. I already have this drawing but it doesn't show where to connect the spring near the brake arm weldment (item 28).

Hi there let me have a look

Don

No help here. Brake cables not show here.

ok i will keep on it sorry

can you up load a picture of it for me please

Don

Best pic is probably the diagram. I just don't know where the spring connects. The cable connects to the item 28 brake arm. That's about how long the spring is too. Just not sure exactly where to connect.

Hi on the first one i sent or the second

?

Don

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. Good night and thanks for the help.Second set of diagrams looks the best and there is a good pic of the cable assembly (item 36).

hi there i am on mountain time

did you get e-mail ?

sounds good

oh by the way during these question and answer sessions you are not being charged for it

Have a great night and you are most welcome

we will figure it out i am sure

Don

Hi there

thanks for the picture

is the spring not attached to anything

the picture shows a nut

is that what you talking about ?

Don

the red spring with the nut on it

Don

No. The spring is part of the cable assembly. The spring has two three ends. One attaches to the brake pedal, and two go to the back of the tractor to activate drive belt idler and the brakes. Each of these ends has a spring mounted on the cable. The spring that goes to the rear of the tractor toward the brakes is the spring I can’t place. Again, it’s part of the cable assembly.
Cable has three ends.

hi there i am going to the lawn mower doctor tomorrow he said he might have a diagram i can copy

You are sure earning your money with this one Don.I was just thinking... the brake/ clutch pedal does not require either of the springs mounted to the cable assembly to return to its normal position. The break pedal is returned because of a really stiff spring mounted to the drive belt idler pulley.So, Do you think these two springs mounted to the cable assembly are just there to keep the cable from hanging down and getting caught in the pullies on the mower deck. If that is what these springs are for, maybe it doesn’t really matter where they go. ???

hi there thats what i am thinking

and hopefully will confirm tomorrow as long as you have the tension on them to keep them out of harms way yes

but there should be a hole or slot that they fit into

Don

I’ve searched very well and don’t see any hole or slot. I wish I wasn’t fixing this up for family or I would just let it go.I mow with a 4WD Kubota- no dangly springs on that beast!

Hi there i can hear ya on that one

i have a few less hairs on my head from trying to figure this thing out lol

I have a old LTD ford lawn tractor no bells or whistles on this thing just straight forward

and i am thinking that is probably what those springs are for seems to me i have scene that before

other than that is all else working as it should plus there might have been a small bracket that was mounted one time for that third spring

what you think

Don

Hi there

finally i got some kind of answer from snapper its self

the service manager there says that these springs do indeed support cable away from getting damaged he said that there should have been a anchor bracket at one point but most of them fall off due to vibration

just mount it so that there is tension on the cable to keep it from moving around and you will be good to go

sorry it has take so long

Please use the star rating system at top of page so I get credit from the web site for my time,
You may still ask follow up questions at no extra charge after rating.
Thank you

Have a great day

Don

Don
Don, Mechanic
Thank you Don. This one wasn’t easy and I’m glad you had a contact at Snapper. Like I said, if it wasn’t brakes for family with a hilly yard, it wouldn’t matter so much. I’ll give you a good rating.

you are very welcome even they had a hard time finding it took 2 days

Have a great day

Don