Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 3 yr old craftsman lawn tractor. Changed oil and…

Customer Question
I have a 3...

I have a 3 yr old craftsman lawn tractor. Changed oil and file

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have a 3 yr old craftsman lawn tractor. I changed the oil and filter along with new blades today. The engine sounds fine and steady. I have the power and speed at each speed setting. However, when I engage the blades, the power decreases and so does the speed. I can set it on 6th and it runs as if it is on 2 or 3 speed. Also, while I adjust the engine speed, while blades engaged, the engine idle actually speeds up when I move from rabbit setting to the turtle setting until I get to the slow setting then the idle decreases.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

3 yrs old. Never happened until todaz

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can. Unless it it an internal combustion issue but it doesn’t seem to be as the engine runs perfect when blades not engaged. I was going to check and maybe replace deck belt. Still has original belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I did not change spark plug yet but the engine runs fine until blades engaged

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/25/2018
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 3 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi, I’m Wayne.

I will be assisting you with this issue today.

what you are describing is the governor inside the engine

either the spring is weak or stretched

I suggest getting that looked at

Also, for grins, replace the spark plug 1st

I hope this helps you

My goal is to give you the best experience possible.

I hope that I have earned a 5-star rating

Found at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.​

Morning

Just following up with you

Did my answer help you

Morning

I took the time to answer your question

Please take the time to respond to me