Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Gravely 44Z. It starts fine, but if you either take…

Customer Question
I have a Gravely...

I have a Gravely 44Z. It starts fine, but if you either take the brake off or engage the blades (PTO) the engine dies. I have the electrical schematic, but too many places where the wiring goes into a "black box" (engine module, for example). Any thoughts??

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes. The engine starts (thought I said that), I can run the mower all I want - just don't release the brake (I did override the brake switch as part of my troubleshooting, and it will go all over the place), but when I engage the blade, it stops - just as it stopped before I overrode the brake limit switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

A more detailed schematic might be useful if there is one available.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
3/24/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

More times than not, it is one of the arm switches not making contact. Do you have a volt-ohm meter to test the arm switches? If the switch is not made, as soon as pto pr brake is released, it kills the engine.

Are you talking about the "transmission" arms?
Will just go through the chat.

Yes, the steering /drive arms.

Yeah, the schematic I have doesn't show those switches, so will have to search for a better schematic. Are the switches a "short around" or "remove power" kind of switches, if you can understand what I am asking.

You can jump around them if you can't test them.

Okay. All I have time for now. I can test those and get back if I need more help. Thanx

OK>

I see the question is still open, did you find the problem?

Turns out it was a defective seat switch.

Good job! Use the 5-star rating system to close the question.