Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We just purchased a 20" 12amp. electric Greenworks mower…

We just purchased a...

We just purchased a 20" 12amp. electric Greenworks mower last summer. Used it probably 8 times on a small / medium lawn. It worked just fine. Just got it out after a winter in our garage, plugged it in, tested the extension cord with a trouble light (worked just fine), and the mower will not start at all; won't even give a small "grunt" - just sits there silently. Gotta say we're not very impressed with a mower that appears to "quit" after so few uses. Bruce

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It is an ELECTRIC plug in (no battery involved) so gasoline is not a problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not if I can help it unless it is a very simple fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of...the thing ran just fine last year until we put it away for the winter. All of a sudden it won't "budge" at all.

3/24/2018
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

With it, UNPLUGGED, tilt it up and see if you can rotate the blade. Mabe the blade is stuck from the old grass.

No the underside of the mower is completely clean. We carefully clean the underside mower deck after each use and the blade spins freely.

What is the actual model number? Is there a circuit breaker on the plugin?

Not sure of the model number. Have to wait until my wife gets home and goes through our filing. It is a plug-in (only - no battery) 20 inch 12 amp mower. Don't see a circuit breaker anywhere - on the top of the motor or the plug-in or the "push button" that starts the motor when the safety lever is held against the mower handle.

Do you have a voltmeter to test if the switch is sending voltage to the drive motor?

No I don't. I am getting the impression that I am going to have to take it to "L & L tool in Port Angeles, WA" which a small engine repairman told me works on electric motors of all kinds. Thanks, ***** ***** can't get into repairing electric motors that a small engine repairman says that he doesn't touch himself. I thought that it might be a relatively simple fix (like a circuit breaker that I hadn't noticed), but it sounds like it is beyond a simple solution. Thank you.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician