Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Kawasaki 21 hp engine on my Gravely mower. The

Customer Question
I have a Kawasaki...

I have a Kawasaki 21 hp engine on my Gravely mower. The throat of the carburetor is full of gas and oil mixture up to the choke butterfly. When trying to start it blows large amounts of gas and oil out of the exhaust pipe. I tried to start it and it started for about thirty seconds and died. Did not try to start again. I checked the oil and it was completely empty, but it was full when I started it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

There is clean fuel in the tank and the shut-off valve was open when I started. I have since closed it to keep it from leaking further.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It would depend on how difficult a repair it is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There are only 174 hours on the engine. But it is 5 years old.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Small Engine
3/24/2018
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 28 days ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Good.

Are you sure the oil is empty and not thinned from gas in the oil? Remove your spark plug or plugs, and spin the engine to clear the cylinders. The carburetor float and needle valve are not shutting off the gas.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I was going to drain the oil because I thought there was gas in it and it was empty.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I have since refilled the oil but have not tried to start.

Remove the spark plugs and spin engine first, the plugs may be fouled, and need cleaning or replaced.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It will have to be tomorrow before I can do this. I will respond then.

OK> Thank!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I removed the plugs and spun the engine. Nothing came out and the plugs look fine.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 27 days ago

Ok ,will it start and run?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I started the engine. It ran real erratic. Before starting I decided to pump out both gas tanks and put in new gas just in case.

But it continued to run? No smoke? Did you replace the fuel filter? But you didn't change the spark plugs!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It smoked some I did not replace the fuel filter or plugs. I did clean the needle valve and seat.

Soke should have cleared s soon as the exhaust got hot, but fuel filter and plugs may take care of the erratic running.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'll replace the plugs and fuel filter tomorrow. I don't think I let it run long enough for the exhaust to get hot. I still don't understand why it sucked all the oil out of the crankcase.

Had to have gas in the oil and the thinned oil was sucked up!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok. Will reply tomorrow after plugs and filter.

OK>

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 21 days ago

I see the question is still open.??

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician